At least 250 people reportedly suffered from food poisoning after attending the 90th birthday celebration of former First Lady Imelda Marcos in Pasig City on Wednesday, according to the police.
The celebration was held at the Ynares Sports Arena and attended by around 2,500 guests and Marcos supporters, who came to the venue in buses and jeepneys.
The Philippine Red Cross (PRC) said its responders gave first aid to 127 people who experienced symptoms of food poisoning. They reportedly rushed 14 people to the Rizal Medical Center.
Eight PRC ambulances responded to an alleged food poisoning in a private celebration at the Ynares Sports Complex at 11:20 this high noon, July 3. According to reports, an estimated 2,000 participants were present in which at least 137 individuals suffered vomiting and dizziness. pic.twitter.com/cgsuj2iySr— Philippine Red Cross (@philredcross) July 3, 2019
According to reports, the Eastern Police District said the patients were also brought to Medical City, Pasig City General Hospital, Tricity Medical Center, and Polymedic General Hospital.
A Rappler article said that a woman said she felt sick after eating adobo. Food packs distributed at the celebration included a boiled egg, chicken adobo in a plastic bag, and rice.
The report said the two caterers served food for the party: one for VIP guests, and another one for regular guests, most of which were the ones who fell ill.
Another report from GMA News said that the food reportedly served were siopao, spaghetti, and pork and chicken adobo with egg. The report said authorities were also checking the drinking water consumed by the victims.
In an interview, Acting Pasig City DRRMO Officer Bryant Wong said the packed meals given to the guests were to blame for the poisoning.
Imelda’s daughter, Senator Imee Marcos, who was at the event, assured their supporters that they will look after the victims and vowed to visit them in the hospital.
In his Facebook Page, former senator and Imelda’s son, Bongbong Marcos issued an official statement: